Welcome to the ultimate rental equipment management software checklist.
This checklist was created to help in your search for the right rental equipment software your business. At Baseplan, we have been providing equipment and rental management software for 32 years, so we’ve learned a thing or two on what to look for, and what you need.
The checklist below is extensive, so it has been broken up into their respective categories of Sales, Rentals, Service, Parts, and Financials.
The core of your Rental Equipment business revolves around one major factor, getting your equipment out into the field, or sales.
Have a look at these items and see if they will be supported by your rental equipment software.
- Can the software manage high volumes of rentals and associated agreements? Including short and long-term rental agreements?
- Will the software allow for ease of managing frequency of equipment turnover
- Can it help with planning of daily activity sheets including driver allocation and runs?
- Will it record delivery and pick-up details and on-glass signing?
- Does it include a mobile transport app that includes details of jobs sent to drivers with drivers being able to acknowledge and confirm completion?
- Is there capabilities for effective pre and post-rental inspections?
- Will it allow you to make configurable check lists by make and model?
- Does it have the ability to capture and attach photos for damage tracking?
- Is there the ability to convert quotes to contracts?
- Does it include in field access to customer information, rental history, service history, transactions and rental rates?
- Is there efficient management of equipment availability and planning?
- Detailed Planning Calendar for better visibility of equipment availability and ease of tracking?
- Is there visual representation of equipment status including equipment reserved, out for delivery, on-rental, off-rental, returned, in inspection, and in service?
- Does it allow for allocation of serialized and associated items, for example harnesses and fire extinguishers?
- Is there comprehensive sub rental functionality, integrated to scheduling, purchase orders and supplier invoicing?
- Does it integrate with Telemetry providers of your choice to provide hour meter readings and allow you to manage minimum and maximum hours with associated excess hours billing?
- Are there several intuitive tools, such as dashboards and advanced analytics to assist you in decision making?
If your sales department is working efficiently, your rental equipment management business should have to manage a high volume of rentals.
Below are some of the top needs your software should fulfill for your rental equipment management business.
- Will it allow you to easily plan and allocate equipment and resources to rental contracts?
- Is there flexible billing based on time, engine hours or employee-entered tickets?
- Are there multi-line tickets to charge for multiple resources and job types on a single invoice?
- Will it allow timesheet entries integrated with Payroll and sub-contractors?
- Does it make sure labor revenue and costs are accrued and matched to the equipment rental?
- Does the planning calendar match equipment availability and location with labor resources and operators, licensing, certifications and inductions? In the long term, will the planning calendar assist you in measuring equipment and labor productivity?
Keeping your equipment in good condition is paramount to supplying customers with a safe and reliable product.
Below are some thoughts on what software should supply to help you make that a reality.
- Will it breakdown management right from customer call logging, through prioritization, planning and allocation to technician and job dispatch over the wire?
- Can it proactively manage equipment condition through Service Scheduling, also known as Preventative Maintenance Plans?
- Are there multiple scheduling and planning options, management of OEM product recalls and field service bulletins (FSB’s) for warranty and Preventative Maintenance?
- Is there the ability to attach Service Kits to Service Schedules?
Making sure your software is advanced enough to support a complex parts department is something your rental equipment management software can’t be without.
The checklist below will help to make sure that your software will properly support your parts department.
- Can you view extensive real-time utilization calculations via a wide range of reliable graphs, tables and charts?
- Is there a utilization analysis available through your financial contribution analysis system which allows the user to drill down to individual transactions and see ROI and full costs of ownership, such as service costs and depreciation compared to income?
- Can the data be easily exported to Excel?
- Is book, tax, and finance depreciation held concurrently on each asset in the Asset Financial Management system? Can assets can be joined or split as required?
- Is there an automatic disposal process for quick and efficient sale of assets?
- Is the Assets Register integrated with the General Ledger, Equipment Ledger, and Accounts Payable Ledger (in respect to finance leases)?
- Will it maintain sub assets?
- Can it put a “hold” on depreciation?
- Will it revalue assets with full audit trails?
Your software needs to be able to connect all aspects of your business, especially the financial side.
Here are a few questions that your financial team will be asking when it comes to getting a new software system:
- Are all financial transactions are recorded in real-time and linked back to the General Ledger?
- Is there a need to integrate to a 3rd party accounting system with additional monthly payments and time spent consolidating reports or information from two different software systems?
- Is the general Ledger updated in real-time and will it report up to the second financial data?
- Will the procurement optionally start within the Request For Quote module which links together Accounts Payable with equipment specifications and allows for a cohesive process with respect to engaging suppliers for tender?
- Can budgets can imported from Microsoft Excel and tracked in real-time against actual performance?
- Is multi-currency is supported for customer and supplier facing transactions? Can foreign exchange adjustments can also be performed easily with revaluation adjustments automatically taken through to the general ledger?
With your sales, rentals, parts, service, and finance departments functioning co-operatively, Baseplan Software delivers the highest level of process control and visibility. From initial quotes through to invoicing, you receive consistent, reliable data. Real-time integrated KPI reporting removes manual processing and potential errors.
Want to make sure these items are checked off? Contact us to request a call with a Baseplan Professional.